Saturday, April 9, 2011

Knee Pain--Self-diagnosed

I'm just about 2 months from my marathon, and I've self-diagnosed my knee problems as <a href="http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee">runner's knee (patellofemoral pain syndrome)</a>. The symptoms all match up--pain in the knee cap, which is made worse when going down hill or using stairs, usually associated with an increase in running and more common in women. Blah! I decided that there really was a problem on Thursday. I bought a new knee brace this week in preparation for my 5 mile run. I wore the brace during my whole run (which, yay for me!, I completed without walking), and felt my typical soreness toward the last few miles. However, in the last quarter mile, I had a small incline (felt like a huge incline at the time) that really started killing my knee. I felt like I limped my last little bit.

After my run, I did my normal stretch cool down. However, this time I noticed something: my knee kept hurting even after I stopped running and after my body warmed up from being in the cold weather outside. In fact, my knee kept hurting all that night, to the point that I woke up every time I turned over because the process of doing so hurt my knee. Friday I wore my knee brace all day, and had really bad pain whenever I bent my knee--going up stairs, going down stairs, lifting my leg to move my foot from the gas pedal to the brake, etc. Today it's much better, but I still have some slight pain when going up or down stairs, or if I suddenly move my knee or something (like one of my kids) puts too much pressure on my knee.

So, after some internet searches, I realized that Runner's Knee perfectly describes the pain I'm having, and fits with the potential causes. As a result, I'm taking a break from my training routine. Yesterday and today I didn't work out at all (not even P90X). Next week I'll be back on P90X, and I'll try to be better about running nearly every day, but only short distances. Then I'll try to work back up to my schedule. I'm worried that I'm being forced into one of two conditions: 1.) not complete the training workout as outlined, so I don't ever get up to a 10 mile run before my half, and therefore not be as prepared as I would like, or 2.) try to jump back onto the training schedule too quickly that I just aggravate this problem. I think one of the biggest things I have to do is run more frequently. Mainly, I've been doing my big runs once a week and then expecting P90X to carry the rest of my training. I think that's part of my problem. Unfortunately, it's hard finding time to do my runs with my husband's work schedule. I think I'll be running more at night once he gets home.

As for my other goals, I'm doing pretty good. I'm back to calorie counting to try and hit that 135. I bought my new swimsuit for the summer, and I'd really like to drop these last 5 pounds before the summer heat hits. I'm on track to hit my goals for reading the Old Testament and 12 other books. I'm still doing P90X, though not as religiously as at first (I skip some routines and replace others with running), but I'm very excited about having the end in sight! Only three more weeks!! I think that the only goal I may not hit this year is getting to 135 pounds. Honestly, with P90X, running, and the weight I've already lost, I feel really good about how I look and won't be too bummed if I don't see that magic number. The exercise has trimmed me down a bit (even if the scale doesn't show it), but mostly I have more energy, I'm happier, and I'm more comfortable with myself, and that's good enough for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment