Sunday, October 25, 2015

Long time no post

I haven't been very good at updating this blog. At this point, I'm so far behind that I don't even know what to write about. So, this post may be disjointed as I just start writing whatever comes to me.

This summer was B2's first year playing baseball at the Mustang level. His team did well, taking 3rd overall in the city. We were invited to the "state" tournament (which really only included teams from Utah County and a few from Salt Lake County; teams were divided into four or five tournament locations, and winners were declared from each tournament, not one overall winner), at which we were absolutely creamed. Seeing the difference in teams makes me very interested in having him play baseball next year in Lehi. It's nearly twice as expensive, but if he wants to keep playing, I think it's a good middle ground option between our city league and playing competitive tournament ball.

This fall D played soccer again. After last year's disastrous season, in which D refused to play in most of the games and hated going to practice (largely due to his coach who was incredibly rude to D), he actually enjoyed playing! He liked his coach, he played hard during the games (only once or twice did he say he didn't want to go in, or ask to come off the field early), and seemed to have fun.

E is quickly coming up on her 2nd birthday, and for that I'm a little terrified. Ok, "terrified" isn't the right word. I'm just not ready for her to grow up. She's already indicating that potty training may be in her near future (she takes her diaper off, answers "yes" if you ask if she's poopy, loves to dress/undress herself, etc.), and she's answering questions, and her vocabulary is growing. It just all makes me sad in a way that my baby is growing up so fast. Pretty soon she'll be 2, and talking in full (coherent) sentences, and I'm just not ready.

I do feel blessed that we've largely avoided the terrible two's and three's with A. He's almost 3 and a half now, and while he does have occasional tantrums, it's not nearly as bad as it was with my first two kids. Knock on wood, right?

B1 and I still love our neighborhood. I think "house envy" is something I'm going to always battle with -- it's hard for me to not compare what I have with others and want more: nicer floors, different floor plan, larger home, more upgrades, bigger yard, etc. I wish it was easier for me to see what I have and realized how blessed I am, but that is something that I have to work to see (sometimes, not always). I wonder sometimes if there are people who find gratitude comes easily. I expect so. But I expect more often than not it's something we have to work for, and that can also be a blessing.

Let's see. Other news. In August, we lost my grandma. Grandma had been battling Alzheimer's for years, so while it wasn't a shock, it was still heartbreaking to bury the grandma we visited every year (sometimes more than once), the grandma who influenced my decisions to play sports in high school, the grandma who's approval I wanted so desperately when I was dating Brian (she loved him! It was one of the first indicators I had that this relationship could truly work out), and more. I miss everything about her -- from the bright pink lipstick marks she'd leave on faces. to her laugh (she had a great sense of humor), to the way she would hum hymns all day long as she worked. I miss the way she made us feel that we grandkids were her pride and joy. It's been almost 3 months since she passed away, and I still miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment